Gluten Free in Seattle
Seattle is a great place to visit and live gluten free. Here are some of our local favorites.
Gluten Free Bakeries:
We are so lucky to have a couple of gluten free bakeries in Seattle.
• Dolce Lou (206) 395-4623 A gluten, corn and soy free made-to-order bakery specializing in cakes, cookies, pastries and breads. Egg and dairy free options are also available.
Eden B Gluten Free Bakery and Cafe 120 116th Ave NE Bellevue, WA (425) 462.2224 Located inside the Bellevue Chrysler/Jeep dealership, next to the service department. A hidden gem of bakery and cafe, with gluten free breakfast, lunch and treats.
• Flying Apron 3510 Fremont Ave North, Seattle, WA (206) 442-1115; 16541 Redmond Way, Ste E Redmond, WA A gluten free bakery with "your good health in mind." I have come to really appreciate Flying Apron. Baked items are made using the finest organic ingredients; whole grain wheat free flours and organic non hydrogenated oils. The Flying Apron is a wheat free, gluten free and vegan bakery.
• Guilt Free Goodness 14957 North Kelsey Monroe WA (360) 794-5266 and 218 Broadway E, Seattle WA (upstairs) (206) 707-5961 Call first to see when they are open.
• Haley's Corner Bakery 10216 SE 256th St. Suite 111 Kent, WA 98030 (253) 852-4486
• Wheatless in Seattle 10003 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle (206) 782-5735 Wheatless in Seattle was the very first completely gluten free bakery in Seattle. They may only be wholesale now, so call first to make sure.
Bakeries that sell Gluten Free Items:
The following is a list of local bakeries that sell gluten free items, in addition to traditional wheat-based items. Double check to confirm the gluten free status of their items. We consider the risk of cross-contamination too high and will not eat items made in a wheat bakery, but that is a personal choice for you to make.
• Cinnamon Works, Specialty Bakery 1536 Pike Place, Seattle (206) 583-0085 While the ingredients they use are certified gluten free and their gluten free goods are baked in a "controlled" environment, they warn that "because we are a bakery that produces traditional, wheat baked goods, we do not have control over the wheat in the air." We have gotten sick after eating here so I would not recommend this bakery.
• Cupcake Royale Now selling GF Cupcakes at all tive locations including one on the Eastside in Belllevue. Not a dedicated GF bakery, but they wash all pans , clean and sanitize the bowls, and place them on the top of the speed rack so no crumbs from other cakes fall on the Gluten Frees. When in the case, they are displayed separately and separate serve-ware is used (tongs, utensils)
• Great Harvest Bakery 4709 California Ave SW, Seattle 98116 (206) 935-6882 A pretty extensive gluten free selection but I would not consider this place safe for celiac's as all of the bread is cooked in a common bakery with gluten containing items.
• Stuffed Cakes 9003 35th Ave SW in West Seattle (206) 428-8581 A "regular" bakery that has at least one GF flavor of cupcakes available in the shop each day and many more that can be ordered, including a GF Vegan cupcake. While the bakery is not exclusively GF they do take precautions to avoid contamination including doing "GF baking first in the day when everything is cleaned/sanitized the night before and there's no flour dust in the air. All GF ingredients are stored in air tight containers. Cupcakes are served on their own tray at the shop. The fondant is gluten free and vegan so we can use it for everyone."
• SweetCakes Bakery 128 Park Lane Kirkland, WA 98033 (425) 821 6565
Gluten Free Friendly Restaurants in the Greater Seattle Area:
Most of the fine dining restaurants in Seattle are very capable of accommodating a gluten free diet. Call before you go and speak to the chef or the manager of the kitchen. I have had wonderful experiences eating in both Seattle and Eastside restaurants including Italianissimo Ristorante in Woodinville, Pomegranate in Redmond and Wild Ginger and The Brooklyn in Seattle. Here are some that offer gluten free options on their menus. Always inform the servers of your dietary restrictions and re-confirm that necessary steps are taken to prevent cross-contamination!!
• Andaluca 407 Olive Way Seattle, WA 98101 (206) 382-6999 Featuring Mediterranean cuisine and an extensive gluten free menu which includes tapas, steak and more. Located in the Mayflower Park Hotel offering a great down-town atmosphere.
• Bison Creek Pizza and Pub 630 SW 153rd St #F, Burien, WA 98166-226 Now serving Gluten Free Pizza.
Blue Moon BurgersThree Seattle area locations. Gluten Free menu that includes hamburgers (on GF buns of course), and french fries. Request them to be cooked in a GF fryer.
• Cafe Flora2901 E Madison St, Seattle (206) 325-9100A Exceptional vegetarian cuisine. Gluten Free items marked on menu. Go on a nice afternoon and eat on the inside patio. It is really lovely.
• Chef Liao 6012 Phinney Ave N Seattle (206) 789-6441 Now carrying GF soy sauce and will modify recipes for your GF diet.
• Fresh Bistro 4725 42nd Ave SW, Seattle (206) 935-3733 Offering a GF menu in West Seattle. Don't expect GF bread or pasta, but do expect good classic bistro fare that is naturally gluten free.
• Garlic Jim's Serving gluten free pizza in most of its Washington and Oregon chains. Some of the locations even offer vegan cheese.
• Great Northwest Soup Company Menu designates Gluten Free soups.
Lucia 222 Parkplace, Kirkland 98033 (425) 889-0200 Quaint Italian Restauarant serving GF pasta.
• Maggianos Little Italy Offering gluten free corn pasta. The Chef will come out and help design a meal that meets all of your dietary requirements. WARNING: We were "glutenized" TWICE at the Bellevue location when they cooked our pasta in the same water they used for wheat pasta. Make sure you ask for the Chef and are very clear about your gluten free needs. We no longer eat here.
• Nollies 1165 Harrison St. Seattle WA 98109 (206) 402-6724 Gluten free baked goods, sandwiches on gluten free bread and salads.
• Outback Steakhouse Several Seattle locations. Very knowledgeable and offers good food in a family friendly atmosphere. It is worth the trip for the desserts - The Thunder Down Under is a family favorite.
• PF Chang's Very knowledgeable and helpful. It is always a fun family dinner here. The kids like the lettuce wraps, lemon chicken and street noodles. Finish with the Chocolate Dome for dessert.
• Piatti Restaurant 2695 NE Village Ln Seattle, WA 98105 A wonderful Italian restaurant in University Village with a gluten free menu.
• Pizza Pi Vegan Pizzeria 5500 University Way NE Seattle, WA 98105 Offering a 9 inch pizza with gluten free crusts.
• Pizza Works 14130 Juanita DR NE STE 109, Bothell, WA 98011 ( 425) 821-1300 Serving gluten free and dairy free pizza on the Eastside of Seattle. They have a separate prep area and oven for the GF pizzas. They also serve GF spaghetti and meatballs, as well as desserts from Sunny Valley Bakery. They have a variety of sizes and even offer a yeast free crust.
Pomodoro Located in Eastlake. Serving spanish tapas with gluten free dishes and pasta available.
• Portage Bay Cafe Three locations in Seattle. A busy place but I hear they have gluten free pancakes.
• Red Mango Several Seattle Locations. Not a bakery or a restaurant, but a great place to stop for some frozen yogurt that is certified gluten free!
• Razzis Pizzeria 8523 Greenwood Ave. N. Seattle (206) 782-9005 A family favorite serving gluten free pizza, pasta, pita bread and desserts.
• Sages Restaurant 15916 NE 83rd Street, Redmond, WA 98052 (425) 881-5004 Offering a savory gluten free menu.
Tango Restaurant and Lounge1100 Pike Street Seattle, WA 98101 (206) 583-0382 Latin infused food and drink including Spanish tapas, Cuban mojitos or South American ceviche. My new favorite place to eat GF in Seattle. If you are celiac, avoid anything fried as they do not have a dedicated GF fryer.
• Ten Mercer 10 Mercer St. Seattle, WA 98109 (206) 691-3723 Offering a gluten free dinner menu including savory meals.
• Tulio Ristorante 1100 Fifth Avenue, Seattle WA 98101 (206) 624-5500 Another favorite! Named Seattle's Best Italian Restaurant and I could not agree more. And they have a gluten free menu! I had the lamb sirloin with artichokes, green beans, mint and olives. No compromising on good taste here!
• Village Sushi 4741 12th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98105 Yes, even a gluten free sushi menu!
• Wild Ginger Asian Restaurant and Satay Bar Locations in both downtown Seattle and Bellevue. Asian restaurant features authentic and traditional Asian dishes made of house-made ingredients, cracking coconuts to make coconut milk, grinding spices for curries, etc--all from scratch. Both vegan and gluten-free friendly (look for the G on the vegan menu) offering specialized menus and alterations.
• ZAW Several Seattle locations Offering gluten free bake at home pizza.
ZPizza 1620 Broadway Ave, Seattle (206) 432 - 9158
Offering gluten free pizza - measures in place to prevent cross-contamination. Tell them your diet restrictions and they will grab fresh ingredients or open new packages.
Where to Shop:
Most chain grocery stores in Seattle have a gluten free section. In addition to Whole Foods, here are some local stores with great selections of gluten free food:
• Janell's Gluten Free Market 7024 Evergreen Way Ste A Everett, Wa 98203 (425) 347-3500 Offering an impressive selection of gluten free items.
• Manna Mills 21705 66th Ave W, Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043 (425) 775-3479 Manna Mills has the best selection of gluten free food in Seattle ~Glutino, Ener-G, Chebe, Kinnikinnick and many other choices.
Terra Organica Health Food Store, Trapeze Cafe and Seven Loaves Pizzeria 1530 Cornwall Ave, Bellingham, WA (360) 715-8020 Terra Organica has an extensive dedicated gluten free section, Trapeze Cafe offers gluten free panini, salads, soup and baked goods and Seven Loaves serves GF pizza of course.